Sunday, October 7, 2012

National Poetry Day


This year I spent National Poetry Day "doing" poetry. In the morning I spent a simply marvellous hour and a half prescribing poems for people. Whether they were stressed, lovelorn or lonely I had the privilege of listening, paying attention and finding a poem that spoke to them. It was a wonderful experience and my last 8 years of getting to know poetry provided me with the material to respond. I read the poem out to them and then folded it carefully into a beautiful small folder - a real gift - I loved it!!

 

In the afternoon I facilitated poetry making for people with aphasia - an acquired communication disorder, usually after a stroke. We had fun, explored language and had a wonderful time.

I look forward to more days like this!!


At the Lit and Phil, Newcastle Upon Tyne

No comments:

Post a Comment